Saturday, July 7, 2007

Wah! Taj, You Rock!

Let me begin my blog by saying "Wah! Taj, You Rock!" as Taj Mahal today made to the list of new 7 wonders of the world.

It was about two months back, I was visiting India, when I first heard about then impending online voting for choosing the new 7 wonders of the world. The TV channels in India had started urging people to vote for Taj even before the voting site was opened. Yesterday, being the last voting day, some TV channels dedicated the whole day to "Vote for Taj" campaign. Observing the scale of the campaign by the Indian government and public it was pretty obvious, to me, that Taj will be in the list. So the confirmatory news didn't surprise me however, what I found amusing was that mayor of Agra, the city that holds the majestic Taj Mahal was awarded immediately after the word of confirmation reached India.

I have visited Taj twice in last one year so I know that the mayor or other responsible government bodies haven't been doing enough to preserve the eternal beauty of Taj. Just because Taj has won the voting campaign, doesn't mean all is well with Taj. We all know the challenges that the Taj is battling againsts. When there is a question mark on how long this historic monument can stand the perils of mishandling, awarding someone responsible for preserving the grandeur of Taj is only ironical. Let's hope that the award will remind Mr. Mayor his responsibility and that he will do the needful to keep Taj one of the most cherished tourist spots on earth.

I pray and hope that the Taj Mahal will continue to intrigue the senses of viewers, the words of the lyricists, and the hearts of the lovers. Winds may be favorable or unfavorable, Taj, the symbol of true love, must go on!

Cheers
Ind-Wind

Sources:
Times of India - Taj Mahal's Journey to the New 7 Wonders of World
CNN - New 7 wonders of the world named

No comments: